Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Cable Tension - W4XN Tower Progress

To: towertalk@contesting.com, DrD@2020.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Cable Tension - W4XN Tower Progress
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 18:47:11 EDT

In a message dated 5/3/2007 5:39:45 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I am at the point of installing antennas on the 23'  mast on the top
of my US Tower HDX-572 (while it's on the ground).  I  have the associated
UST tilt over attachment, which uses a Fulton K2550  Standard Work Winch, and
the cable shown for this winch is 5/16" dia, 7x19  Aircraft (8mm) cable.
When finished this tower will house 8 antennas on the  mast, one being a
heavy TH-11DX HF beam.

>    I'm  concerned about the tension put on the winch cable upon raising
the system  and would like to KNOW if I'm reaching dangerous cable  tension
limits.  The maximum breaking strength of this size cable is  shown as 9800
lbs (galvanized cable) on the CarlStahl  website.

>    What I would like to do is to obtain a  device to measure the cable
tension.  I've been to the Dillon  Website
(http://dillonqualityplus.com/pdf/quick-check_L.pdf) and found  their
"Quick-Check Tension Meter."

>    I'm  wondering if we have anyone who has used this unit and, if so,
I'd like to  hear their opinion of it.  It's very expensive to purchase but
it's  not much more than the HF beam and one more antenna.

>     I've tried to locate someone who rents them but to no avail.  I  may
consider purchasing one.  Any suggestions?

    A Dillon tensionometer is an expensive piece of  equipment. You could use
a LOOS tension gauge - it's almost as accurate and  1/10th the price.
_www.championradio.com_ (http://www.championradio.com)

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products