[TowerTalk] Taking up slack in wire antennas

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Taking up slack in wire antennas
From: "James C. Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 07:17:52 -0600
Hi Gang,
I need some advice for a common problem. I have a crankup tower that
supports a 160m inverted Vee. The ends of the antenna are tied to
6ft  tall 4x4 posts.  I'd like some way to take up slack in the
antenna when the tower is lowered to different heights (from its 70
ft maximum).

For shorter antennas, I've used weights hanging from the ends of the
support ropes, and also screen door springs, but I have to take up
too much slack in the 160m antenna for these solutions to work. I
need something like a venetian blind shade, that reels in the support
rope and keeps it under constant tension. Anybody know if anything
like that is available?

Tnx and 73,

Jim W8ZR

James C. Garland