Re: [TowerTalk] Advice on 25G tower disassembly

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w4pa@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Advice on 25G tower disassembly
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 14:04:47 EDT

In a message dated 6/1/2007 7:16:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  The K4JNY/W4PA contest station continues to be disassembled  at a rapid
rate but
we have not made it all the way to the takedown of some  of the Rohn 25
towers.
They are now ready to come down.

>   Essentially, the question I have is about the use of temporary guys  while
disassembling the Rohn 25 towers.  Since these towers were  erected by myself
and K4JNY over the past several years they were done  right with proper
guying,
the correct amount of concrete, etc.  Start  with the assumption that the
towers
are erected to Rohn specs and are in  good condition, and that we have an
experienced tower crew to take the  towers down (we do).

>  At what point is the  installation of temporary guys to eliminate free
standing
necessary, other  than the bottom 30' when the last set are taken off?  Let me
use the  90' we have as an example.  It's guyed in three points.  When the
top
set of guys at 90' are off, leaving the two sets below it intact,  temporary
guys are at what point, if used?  80'?  70'?   Not?

    Well, standing at the top of 30 feet of naked is  slightly exciting but
nothing dangerous. If you can deal with the pucker  factor you don't need any
temporary guys anywhere. If you can't mentally do  it, then I'd put the
temporaries halfway between the steel guy levels. That  way you're only
slightly more
than one section above a set of guys.

>  When the final guys are taken off at 30', temp guys should  already be in
place
below them...sure.  I'm just not 100% sure where  temp guys are supposed to be
when the tower is still at a higher  point.  I (we) want to have these taken
down safely and correctly and  I see conflicting information on the net
available

If the bottom section is in concrete, you  don't need anything below the
first set of guys. It's as sturdy as 25G  gets.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH
Cell: 206-890-4188