[TowerTalk] Advice on 25G tower disassembly

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Advice on 25G tower disassembly
From: Scott Robbins <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 06:51:19 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings ---

The K4JNY/W4PA contest station continues to be disassembled at a rapid rate but
we have not made it all the way to the takedown of some of the Rohn 25 towers.
They are now ready to come down.

Essentially, the question I have is about the use of temporary guys while
disassembling the Rohn 25 towers.  Since these towers were erected by myself
and K4JNY over the past several years they were done right with proper guying,
the correct amount of concrete, etc.  Start with the assumption that the towers
are erected to Rohn specs and are in good condition, and that we have an
experienced tower crew to take the towers down (we do).

At what point is the installation of temporary guys to eliminate free standing
necessary, other than the bottom 30' when the last set are taken off?  Let me
use the 90' we have as an example.  It's guyed in three points.  When the top
set of guys at 90' are off, leaving the two sets below it intact, temporary
guys are at what point, if used?  80'?  70'?  Not?

When the final guys are taken off at 30', temp guys should already be in place
below them...sure.  I'm just not 100% sure where temp guys are supposed to be
when the tower is still at a higher point.  I (we) want to have these taken
down safely and correctly and I see conflicting information on the net
available.

Scott W4PA

W4PA Contest Blog - http://w4pa.journalspace.com
What Is Radio Contesting? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contesting