Re: [TowerTalk] Advice on 25G tower disassembly

To: W2RU@frontiernet.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Advice on 25G tower disassembly
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:01:35 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/2007 9:25:31 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
W2RU@frontiernet.net writes:

>  I have a related question.  I have to take down a  20-year old 120' tower
of Rohn 25.  I thought the pucker factor  standing at the top of 30 feet
of naked tower was pretty bad when it was  *new* tower and I was 20 years
younger.  Now I'm *sure* I want to use  temporary guys for the take-down
process.  However, I don't have  enough spare 3/16" EHS to form temporary
guys.  What other kinds of  rope, line, or ??? do you think is
appropriate (i.e., strong enough, with  limited stretch)????

    First, taking down a tower that you don't know  anything about is THE
MOST DANGEROUS THING YOU CAN DO ON A TOWER so be very  careful and don't be
afraid to just walk away from it if something isn't  right.

    While 3/16" EHS is the spec for the completed,  under load tower, you can
use non-EHS for the temporaries so you can use some  hardware store wire
rope; e.g. 7x19 galvanized, etc.

    As far as rope, just about anything will work.  I'd shot for 1/2" or
larger. Use a trucker's hitch -
_http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelasfieldguides/KnotLibraryCampingKnots/TruckersHitch.html_

(http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelasfieldguides/KnotLibraryCampingKnots/TruckersHitch.html)
give you some mechanical advantage to tighten it up. There are rope grabs  you
use with a comealong to really put some tension in the temporaries. In all
cases - be careful.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH