Re: [TowerTalk] step away from steppir, Son

To: Bob Maser <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] step away from steppir, Son
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:11:24 -0400
Bob...

John is right...I was thinking multi-banders, not monobanders.
Loose language on my part.

However, in an honest A/B test, you will find that the differences
between the 204ba and 4 el steppIR are insignificant, if even
detectable.  The steppIr advantage is being able to deliver its
specs across the whole band, while the fixed element antenna has
vswr, gain, and f/b centers at different freqs.

Setting up a good a/b test is more work than it's worth...and
the casual ones add variables to the experiment which far outweigh
measurable antenna differences.  As you say, nobody is gonna call
their kid ugly.  After taking down the old antenna and putting up
the new one, all they can say is, it seems to work ok. (or not).
As w8ji said,  it's as much about how you feel as the actual performance.

There are situations where the steppIR is inappropriate.  If I wanted
a stack, for example, I would go with fixed monobanders and optimized
spacing.  In a large multi-multi station, the amount of control wiring
could become a maintenance problem; plus, the variable length antenna
is unnecessary when you have multiple antennas on multiple towers.

N2EA/Jim