[TowerTalk] Blind tests on antennas

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Blind tests on antennas
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:34:17 -0400
If you want a good test, run it as a blind test>
Get yourself a two position switch and ask someone else to
connect the coaxes from the two antennas to the switch, and
simply number the
switch positions as 1 and 2.  Then run your tests without
knowing which
antenna is connected to each position.  This blind procedure
will
remove the personal bias that we have to our favorite or
newest antenna.>>

In the 80's a few of my buddies on 75 meters kept slamming
the thing. One fellow in particular was really slamming
G5RV's all the time.

After modeling showed only a fraction of a dB difference on
80 meters, I installed one. It was end-to-end with an 80
meter dipole at 80-100 feet.

When I would test the antennas and say "G5RV" for the G5RV,
it would lose to the dipole almost 100% of the time.

When I would say antenna A and antenna B, it was a virtual
tie. No one knew the difference.

When I would call the G5RV a dipole and the dipole a G5RV,
the G5RV (being called a dipole) would win hands down. The
dipole, being called a G5RV, would almost never have an
equal or better report.

73 Tom