Re: [TowerTalk] Whats the best free standing Tower for a SteppIR

To: "Alan NV8A" <nv8a@att.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"SteppIR Yahoo Group" <steppir@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Whats the best free standing Tower for a SteppIR
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:14:05 -0700
I totally agree with you Alan. Lowering a crank up under windy conditions is
dangerous. If the tower does not have power pull down the sections can stick
when the lowering force is greater than the weight of the sections. The
cables go slack and are severely overloaded when the wind abates and the
sections come free. It has happened to me on my TX472. These towers do not
have rollers between sections but slide in angle guides. Even if you have
power pull down, I feel it could be overloaded due to the section sticking
problem. I have always had a window in my shack which allows me to see the
towers when raising or lowering or rotating the beams.
  A second problem is that the rotator and coax cables may snag on something
when lowering. It has happened to me also. I would never try to lower a
crankup unless I could see what is happening.
73, Dan, N5AR