Re: [TowerTalk] AB Chance anchor installation... How!?!

To: "R Atkins" <rusty_atkins@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AB Chance anchor installation... How!?!
From: "Chet Moore" <ChetMoore@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:27:23 -0400
Rusty,

Don't see a ham call listed or your location so I have no idea what your
soil conditions might be.   N4BAA and I dug 1 tower hole here and 2 at his
place. in November.  We rented an auger on a small trailer.  Its pretty much
like a mobile drill press.  The trailer  which most people use for digging
fence post holes comes with 4 sizes of auger.  The augers attach to a kelly
bar.  We took a 2 foot piece of pipe, drilled holes in each end, one hole to
pin it to the KELLY BAR and one to fit thru the holes on the end of the
anchors.   The Auger spins about 4 times, "bites" and the anchor is in the
ground in about 4 seconds. It took us longer to push the trailer into the
back yard by hand than it did to drive all 3 anchors.   For the hole itself,
We dug 4 holes with the auger and just shoveled out the the dirt between the
4 holes. We got the unit at  Home Depot.  in our area (chesapeake/Va Beach)
there are at least 7 Home Depot stores.  Only two of them have a tool rental
center, so you may have to call around.  It was $88 for a full day, $50 for
a 1/2 day and around$7 for insurance.   They also rent 1 and 2 man augers
(not mounted on a trailer)  the 2 man augers do not have the kelly bar
fitting.

Some of the other rental places had larger units that would have done the
job.  The bigger augers would have required the rental of a separate trailer
to get the unit home.  the larger ones would not have fit through the gate
going to the back yard.  The one we had  was on wheels about the size of
those seen on a tent trailer and one person could maneuver it on level
ground without much effort.  I have pictures of it somewhere.

If you have never used a power auger before........I hadn't............it
spins a few times and I thought "nothing was happening"  then I was sort of
looking
down an pushing a bit harder to see why "nothing"was happening and then it
bit, just about pulling both arms out their sockets so hold on tight.

press on regardless

73

Chet N4FX