[TowerTalk] Sweet spot locations:

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sweet spot locations:
From: "Barry Kirkwood" <barry.kirkwood@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:20:04 +0000
Years back I recall a note in Technical Topics in RSGB Radio Communications
to the effect that experience of the British Post Office (which once had
monopoly of telecommuncations in the British Isles ) was that coastal
stations had something like 20dB advantage over inland stations on HF. May
not have the details precise, but it was to that effect.
Whatever, as one of those older folk, back in the days when there was no FM
broadcasting, I well remember "sweet spots" when listening to the AM MF
broadcast band on the car radio while travelling, especially by
night.Notjust skip distance, as effect was noticed on stations at
different distances
And not necessarily by the seaside.  Other folk noted the same thing. This
was in ZL, but  certainly noticed the same effect in North America in 1980.
Any thoughts on this?
73
Barry ZL1DD

--