Re: [TowerTalk] Sweet spot locations:

To: k0xu@iowadsl.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sweet spot locations:
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 07:19:27 -0700
I wonder if the sweet spot/sour spot locations are due to local land
conditions, or are simply areas of multipath cancellation, caused by
interaction of ground wave, and sky wave components, from a given station.

Another  Antenna Tower that I had the great fortune to be given a tour of,
was WSM, in Tennessee.  An unforgettable visit and tour by then (1990) Chief
Engr Everett Lawson  (SK).
A very distinctive tower, made by Blaw-Knox, one of a handful around the
country, from the 30's era.

http://hawkins.pair.com/blaw-knox.html

They purposely built  a 5/8 wavelength radiator design in order to suppress
higher lobe radiation causing selective fading at a particular radius from
the antenna.  The big bulge in the middle of the tower apparently clouded
their efforts, and they tweaked the total height to get the best, no fade
reception at important distances.

Check out WSM on the web:

http://www.fybush.com/site-020424.html     (and other locations)

You gotta see the tower base insulator...a Lapis Ceramic pair supporting
tons and tons of weight.

So, on the sour spots, are they specific to a single location and station?
Or, at a given location are many, (most?)  stations noticeably weaker?
Selective Fading?

Sincerely, Pat Barthelow     aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team
http://www.cq-vhf.com