Re: [TowerTalk] Sweet spot locations:

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sweet spot locations:
From: Jim Rhodes <k0xu@iowadsl.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:36:01 -0500
Not just sweet spots, but "sour" ones also. I remember a few from my
teenage years, driving around with the AM radio and certain spots the
radio would just go dead consistently. Had not been back there for
about 40 years before driving through the area a while back. Just to
check it out I switched the car radio on to an AM station before we
reached that section of highway and sure enough, it still dies there.
Couldn't see anything around that should cause it, but whatever it is
it is still there.

At 08:20 AM 7/28/2007, Barry Kirkwood wrote:
>Years back I recall a note in Technical Topics in RSGB Radio Communications
>to the effect that experience of the British Post Office (which once had
>monopoly of telecommuncations in the British Isles ) was that coastal
>stations had something like 20dB advantage over inland stations on HF. May
>not have the details precise, but it was to that effect.
>Whatever, as one of those older folk, back in the days when there was no FM
>broadcasting, I well remember "sweet spots" when listening to the AM MF
>broadcast band on the car radio while travelling, especially by
>night.Notjust skip distance, as effect was noticed on stations at
>different distances
>And not necessarily by the seaside.  Other folk noted the same thing. This
>was in ZL, but  certainly noticed the same effect in North America in 1980.
>Any thoughts on this?
>73
>Barry ZL1DD
>
>--
>Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD
>barrykirkwood@gmail.com

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.