Re: [TowerTalk] CRITTERS AND CABLES

To: "'jeremy-ca'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>,"'Dan Hearn'" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>,"'Craig Clark'" <jcclark@wildblue.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CRITTERS AND CABLES
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 21:17:52 -0400
In these parts, any cable laying on the ground is likely to get chewed
sooner or later. Some cables must be tastier than others. The critters on my
property like LMR-400UF a lot more than Belden 9913. Habitat seems to play a
part as well. The 100' run of coax and control cable to my 40m 4-square has
been chewed at least a half dozen times in the past 10 years, maybe more.
I've had to replace the coax each time, but have been able to splice the
control cable (good to leave a little slack for that.) But the 250' of coax
running through some nearby woods to my 80m delta has never been touched. It
used to run about three feet off the ground, through coax standoffs nailed
to trees, but a lot of it has come down and has been laying on the ground
for years. No problem so far (yeah, I'll raise it back up when I get a
chance... after the dozens of other high priority projects on my list!)

My sense is that the more exposed the cable, the more likely it will be
chewed. The run to the 4-square has almost been covered by grass and foliage
over the years. The chewing always occurs in sections that are still bare to
the air. Funny, because you'd think the mice would bump into the cables as
they weave through the grass. Perhaps this is an indication that it's larger
creatures. I saw a porcupine down there once, and we have plenty of
chipmunks and squirrels.

For some reason, critters have not attacked the cables running from my
towers to nearby NEMA boxes. Those cables are only a couple of feet off the
ground. They also haven't attacked buried cables as they exit the ground and
run into the NEMA boxes. I've been thinking about simple ways to protect
these cables -- perhaps cutting a short length of PVC in half, then clamping
it over the cables, or wrapping them with screen or hardware cloth.

For those who cannot do conduit or deep direct bury (my longest cable runs
are underground), shallow bury works very well. Just make a slit with a
vertical hoe, rock it back and forth to spead the slit, then tuck the cable
into the dirt. If you run into a big rock, just tuck the cable under the sod
away from the rock. This has worked well for me for years.

73, Dick WC1M