Re: [TowerTalk] House bracket rust stains

To: <stargatesg1@verizon.net>,"Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] House bracket rust stains
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:27:32 -0400
Normally perf stock is galvanized.
But if you's is not, just give it a coat of Rustoleum primer and paint it
the color of the house
You could also spray paint it with the cold galvanizing to help prevent
rusting.

A bracket constructed of perf metal probably will not add a "lot" of
support, but with the short tower properly designed it should be more than
suficient.

A note on brackets.  I have a simple one that only holds a short Aluminum
tower against the end of the shop.
The brackets range from the simple that only stick out with the majority of
their support on one axis to the more complex triangular shape that offeres
support in two axies. Of course the the more complex are more expensive to
purchase, or the more work it takes to build.

I prefer a horizontal bracket against the eves with a piece coming out from
each end to form a triangle.  If the end of the triangle is a couple inches
wide a U-bolt can be located there to clamp to the mast or tower leg.  One
of these can provide substantial support even when constructed of perf angle
as long as the material is of suficient strength and the legs are not too
long.

73

Roger (K8RI)