Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Restrictions

To: towertalk@contesting.com, n1baa@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Restrictions
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:15:33 -0400
Jose, n1baa, wrote:

Just moved to Amherst, MA and looking for anyone who may be
in the same local...like east of the CONN River....
Seems the city has a 35 foot limit on towers and according
to their zoning laws which I have been reading for a week now...
Additionally, with as many amateurs that are in this
area...Zoning/Planning etc sure do not seem like they have a
clue as to how to approach this....
If there is anyone who is "close by"...please drop me a line...
-0-

There are several factors involved in a town's zoning...and
their tower language in particular.  Most have nothing whatever
to do with amateur radio, and they wish you'd just go away.

THAT said, members of the National League of Municipalities are
generally aware of PRB-1.  Losses in the federal courts, and
decisions in favor of 70' towers are sufficient to make a town
respectful of a businesslike, friendly approach.

Go meet your city planner.  Make friends.  Same with the building
inspector.  You're likely to find that the professional staff is
concerned about proliferating cell towers...and possibly still about
'micro cells'--even though the marketplace isn't driving that
infrastructure.

They will guide you as to the easiest way to get what you want.  It
may be an ordinance change...or maybe simply a variance or conditional
use permit.  Depending on how fees are set for same, you may have some
preference.

Among the things you need to know, is what the typical property size
in Amherst will support, in terms of a safe tower structure.  You want
to come down on the side of safety.

You may want to provide a volunteer RFI/EMI consulting and mediation
service.  That was helpful in both establishing my bona fides, and in
breaking the ice with the Essex, VT planning staff.  (we had a
problem child in the amateur ranks)

I got a 100' tower approved there, despite a 35' limit.  And I got them
to change the ordinance to permit amateur towers to 70' without variance,
assuming safe setback, but with the stipulation that they could not be
used for commercial purposes, and would be removed if the amateur sold or
was no longer licensed.

Good Luck, and be patient!   N2EA

Jim Jarvis, President
The Morse Group, LLC
732 548 5573 office
www.themorsegroup.net
results@themorsegroup.net

Strategic Planning and Success Strategies
for Sales Professionals and Entrepreneurs.

Sales Excellence Series beginning September 19, 2007

-0-