Re: [TowerTalk] Guy recommendations for push up pole

To: "Derek Cohn/WB0TUA" <vibroplex@mindspring.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy recommendations for push up pole
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:21:13 -0500
There are several possibilities but most synthetics degrade rapidly in
sunlight. Nylon stretches like crazy..*initially*, but after it's been up
for a while it becomes a good guy for light loads. I use 3/16" on my AV-640
vertical.  After the first week (or a good wind) you'll find the stuff has
stretched by feed. The next time, it's only a few inches and after a couple
of months it works well.

OTOH I purchased 500 feet of HPTG12001 Phillystran from Texas Towers. At 45
cents per foot it's not all that much more than poly or nylon, has very
little stretch, rated for 1200# breaking strength, about the same size as
3/16" wire rope, and has about 3X the strength of the wire rope. So, I've
decided to use the stuff in place of the nylon andpoly rope I've used in the
past.

BTW you just use cable clamps and a thimble on each end for the HPTG12001
instead of the "Big Grips".

Roger (K8RI)

Hi Everyone,

I'm posting this for a friend, Mike WBØSND:

  I'm putting up a temporary beam installation and need to know the
appropriate kind of rope to use for guying the mast (poly, nylon, or ?).

  The installation is a Rohn push up mast which is in concrete and bracketed
to the facia board on the house.  The mast is going to extend about 8 feet
above the roof line (a total of 30 ft) and will have a Ham IV rotor and Hy
Gain Explorer 14 on top.  This is just a temporary installation to get
through the winter.  In the spring, I will take it down and put up a
permanent tower.

  So again the question is:  What kind of rope should I use for the guys?

  Thanks to all.
I appreciate any assistance you can provide him.

73,

Derek Cohn
Morse Telegraph Club - Alton Chapter
Office UD, Sine DJ