Re: [TowerTalk] Star guying

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Star guying
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:07:11 -0500 (EST)
Arliss,

I'm concerned that you may be building an overloaded tower! Have you
analyzed the loads on your 190 foot tower from the additional long boom
(50') Yagis you're planning to install?

If you don't have the software to perform your own load analysis,
KR7X (a member of this reflector) can perform detailed load analysis
for far less than the cost of replacing an overloaded tower.

While star guying reduces torque, it does so at the expense of
significantly increased vertical loading on the tower legs.  Star guyed towers
often use tower sections with solid legs that can survive the
additional load caused by star guying, particularly if star guying
is used at multiple guy levels.

73
Frank
W3LPL