[TowerTalk] Star guying

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Star guying
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:51:46 +0000
Why do you think there is excessive twist?  How are you measuring that?

What kind of guys do you have and to what tension are they set?

With a pier pin tower, as well as the tapered base, you've installed the best
tower configuration that you can.  Your tower IS designed to twist due to the
pier pin and with the tapered base it is designed to lean over in the wind as
the guys stretch.

I have 120 ft. of Rohn 45 guyed with Polygon FRP guys and I can't say that I
notice any twisting in big winds (and I wouldn't expect to see the tower lean
but never has had the transit set up in a blow to detect it) and I have a 32
foot, 3 inch diameter beam for 40M up top and all has been well since 2003.

You may be worrying over nothing that shouldn't be expected and is doing what
it is designed to do, which is a good thing.

--
Phil - KB9CRY
Lockport, IL