Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL 40-2CD => Moxon Conversion

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] W6NL 40-2CD => Moxon Conversion
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:22:45 -0700

Agreed, and the tip coupling configuration is fairly critical to the performance.

Antenna and modeling guru L.B. Cebik, W4RNL, has written a complete book (I bought it) as well as several design and analysis articles on Moxon antennas. They would make good reading for anyone planning to build a Moxon antenna. The articles are posted on his website at http://www.cebik.com/radio.html ... scroll down to the section on upper HF yagis and relatives, about 40% of the way down the page.

He also has a couple of articles on VHF Moxons further down, and I would think the improved bandwidth might be a large plus on those bands.

By the way, for those wanting a 40m Moxon out of the box, OptiBeam sells one. Like most OptiBeam antennas it is built quite sturdy, although it is for sure not inexpensive.

73,
Dave  AB7E

Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

Results will not be similar to the "Moxon." The Moxon uses the tails to force current (increase coupling) between the two elements. It is the extra coupling that increases current in particularly the reflector and is responsible for the extra efficiency of the Moxon design compared to a conventional two element yagi.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

At the club station we have a 40m dipole made from 2" aluminum tubing. The horizontal element is 40ft, split in the center and fed directly with 52 ohm coax. At the ends of each of the 20ft pieces of tubing is #10 wire about 16ft long, but trimmed to resonance. Except for guy wire clearance or ethetics wouldn' t this configuration yield similar results as the "MOXON"?