Re: [TowerTalk] Pipe Cutters

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pipe Cutters
From: Bill Cotter <n4lg@qx.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 11:17:08 -0500
Richard,

I think Steve's answer in an earlier post (using a file to clean
the cutoff wheel) adequately solves the aluminum
grinding wheel, and using a diamond tool to restore the wheel. Of
course, you sacrifice the wheels, but so what. They are very
inexpensive.

For years I have used a Delta bandsaw for cutting tubing sections.
The fact that you have to push the work through the blade, makes
the case for Mike's suggestion of using a cut-off saw. Not to
mention, you can 'chop' any length, since there is no throat-depth
issue (ie: bandsaw). A blet grinder and tapered reamer make the cut
complete, and ready for telescoping.

And, yes, reading the manual says what to cut and what not to cut.
I think you have to put the manual into perspective. It is written
for the lowest common denominator walking into Harbor Freight, not
for those who have the experience and skills to be innovative.

I just added this cut-off saw to my Christmas-request list! Thanks
Guys!

73 bill n4lg