Re: [TowerTalk] Pipe Cutters

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pipe Cutters
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 22:29:58 -0500

> On Dec 7, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Dan Hearn wrote:
>
>> As a plumbers son who used a pipe cutter many times as a kid, I can
>> tell you
>> that they cause a significant reduction in OD and ID at the cut off
>> point
>> which is not easy to remove. The pipe cutter was used with a tapered
>> pipe
>> reamer which reduced the internal burr, however the ID is smaller than
>> before cut off. I believe if you are planning on telescoping .058 wall
>> tubing, like the stuff we regularly use for antenna elements, you
>> would be
>> better off using a hack saw and a file to do the job.
>
> I've cut plenty of .058 wall Al tubing that was telescoped inside or
> outside other tubing. Make sure the cutter is sharp. Any burr that you
> have can be easily removed with a deburring tool, or with some quick
> work with a sanding sponge or sandpaper.

and go gently. Most people I see using tubing cutters apply too much
pressure, or try to cut too deeply

> Likely different with steel tubing that leaves a harder burr.

I prefer the machinist's deburing tool, but a fine rat tail file works
great. I'm talking about the size and type for sharpening chain saw chains.

Emery cloth is fine but be careful using sand paper. Sand paper sheds sand
and you don't want that embeded into the end of the tube or rolling around
loose in there.

Roger (K8RI)