Re: [TowerTalk] Pipe Cutters

To: Bill Cotter <n4lg@qx.net>,"Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pipe Cutters
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 09:23:52 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----

Even better, one of those compound miter saws used for cutting trim.  The fine
pitch carbide blade works really well on aluminum extrusions and tubing.

The practical advantage of the circular saw type blade over the band saw type
is that the blade is a lot more rigid, so you get a straight cut.  Bandsaws and
hacksaws have flexible blades and some amount of practice is needed to get
really straight cuts.  A handheld sabersaw works well on aluminum panel (get a
"bimetal"blade for good results on medium thickness aluminum).

(Mind you, i've stopped making my own panels ever since I found out about
frontpanelexpress.com... Weird cutouts, tapped holes, anything you might want)