Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Voltage Breakdown

To: K6QD <K6QD@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Voltage Breakdown
From: "Ron Chambers" <rwchambers@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:15:05 -0600
Did you see this on Amphenol's website? I didn't search other mfgrs.

Ron
N5QQ
=======================================

[image: UHF Connectors] Invented in the 1930's by an Amphenol engineer named
E. Clark Quackenbush, UHF coaxial connectors are general purpose units
developed for use in low frequency systems from 0.6 - 300 MHz. Invented for
use in the radio industry, UHF is an acronym for Ultra High Frequency
because at the time 300 MHz was considered high frequency.

UHF connectors feature a threaded coupling. Because these connectors are
low-cost, the impedance is variable.

Product Links
  Catalog Pages<http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/CatalogPages/unf_catalog.pdf>
All
UHF Products<http://www.amphenolrf.com/search.asp?sid=475DD300581C617F&N=57>
Features & Benefits

  Optional reducing adapters accommodate a wide range of popular coaxial
cables   Solder termination types require no special assembly tools   Crimp
termination types provide a lower cost installation method   Large-size
threaded coupling is rugged design   Non-demanding specifications and low
cost

Applications

  Antennas Cable Assembly Low Frequency Applications  Public Address Systems CB
Radios

UHF Specifications

Electrical
 Impedance Non-constant Frequency Range 0 - 300 MHz Voltage Rating 500 volts
peak
Mechanical
 Mating 5/8-24 threaded coupling Cable Affixment Braid solder, set screw,
clamp and crimp
Material
 Male Contact Brass with silver plating Female Contact Beryllium copper with
silver plating Bodies Brass and die cast zinc Other Metal Parts Brass
Plating Nickel and silver Insulators TFE, copolymer of styrene, polystyrene,
mica-filled phenolic and PBT polyester or equivalent
Environmental
 Temperature Range Mica-filled phenolic insulators: -55°C to +149°C
Copolymer of styrene and polystyrene: -55°C to +85°CTFE insulators: -65°C to
+165°C Weatherproof Except as noted, all UHF series are non-weatherproofNote:
These characteristics are typical but may not apply to all connectors.