Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Voltage Breakdown

To: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>,"Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Voltage Breakdown
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 11:21:21 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Breakdown on a connector is going to be most likely due to creep along the
surface.  The usual rule of thumb is that the breakdown along a surface is 1/3
that of the distance in free air (hence the ribs and notches in HV insulators).
 Looking at
http://www.rfconnector.com/pdf/cat-uhf-series.pdf

It looks like the distance from outer shell to center conductor on the PL-259 [
(A-B)/2 in the figure) is 4mm.

For the SO-239, it's even less distance, because the "socket" has to be larger
diameter than the pin from the PL259.

Let's say 3mm. using the 1/3 rule of thumb, we need the breakdown for a 1mm air
gap:  Breakdown for air is 25kV/cm, so, roughly 2.5 kV.

There are lots of sharp edges in the connector, which reduces the breakdown
voltage, etc.  The 500V in the Amphenol spec referred to below is probably a
reasonable number (500Vrms, that is.. 700V pk) with 2:1 margin. The link above
cites 1500Vrms as the dielectric withstand voltage (i.e. plunge the connector
in oil and it should take 1500Vrms without the dielectric failing)

As others have noted, this is a dicey area in general.. there's a lot of
factors that affect HV breakdown, and the UHF connector is certainly not
designed for HV.  If you need a connector that takes HV, there's a LOT of
better choices... Modified UHF connectors are widely used as the mechanical
basis, but you drill out the insulator and extend the dielectric of the coax a
few inches and put a banana plug on the end.

For real connectors (as opposed to something you make).. SHV, HN, HC, etc. are
all high voltage versions of standard RF connectors (BNC, N, and C,
respectively)

For DC, I've built lots of HV connectors using PVC pipe and banana plugs/jacks.
Easy to arrange long creepage distances, secure connection, and "no finger
touch" (think of scaling up the jacks and plugs on modern multmeters.)

Jim, W6RMK