[TowerTalk] Bamboo Quad Spreaders

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bamboo Quad Spreaders
From: "WA3GIN" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:58:11 -0500
Hi Folks,

Santa brought me a dozen 40ft bamboo stalks freshly cut and ready for drying
and UV sealing treatment.

I'm looking for suggestions regarding the sealing paint/varnish material used.

In the past 920 years ago) I used marine spar varnish which was mixed for 100%
outdoors use...much has changed in the paint/varnish industry since then.  I
have no idea what works today.

I tried polyurethane on one element and it flaked away in a few years of
exposure to the sun.

I'm also open to speader color ideas. I know from experience that people who
paint their front doors black experience severe wood spliting, apparently from
the excessive heat build-up when the doors are exposed to sunshine, so I think
black is not a good color but what about silver, white, sky blue?

Thoughts are welcome,
dave
wa3gin