Re: [TowerTalk] Bamboo Quad Spreaders

To: WA3GIN <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bamboo Quad Spreaders
From: Robert Morris <robrk@nidhog.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 00:06:38 -0500
Back in the sixties, when some were teenagers, one of the guys decided
to try the newfangled fiberglass resin. He figured how much gauze
bandage it would take to spiral wrap eight bamboo spreaders for 20
meters. Whatever it was, 978' , we went to half the drug stores in town,
he would pull the store manager aside and whisper, “we need all the
gauze you have, don't let anyone know and get more, there's going to be
a run on the stuff.  We would go out with a couple of cases and go to
the next store.

Didn't take that long, one spinning the pole and one keeping the gauze
on an angle, for a couple of layers. A wrap of masking tape every few
feet. Thing  was up for ten years and looked fine at takedown.

As I type, I'm looking at a roll of self adhesive “wall span” drywall
joint tape, label says "fiberglass mesh to grip joint compound",17/8” x
150 feet ?? Think the car repair or boat stuff comes in red, yellow, pink?

WA3GIN wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Santa brought me a dozen 40ft bamboo stalks freshly cut and ready for drying
> and UV sealing treatment.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions regarding the sealing paint/varnish material
> used.
>
> In the past 920 years ago) I used marine spar varnish which was mixed for
> 100% outdoors use...much has changed in the paint/varnish industry since
> then.  I have no idea what works today.
>
> I tried polyurethane on one element and it flaked away in a few years of
> exposure to the sun.
>
> I'm also open to speader color ideas. I know from experience that people who
> paint their front doors black experience severe wood spliting, apparently
> from the excessive heat build-up when the doors are exposed to sunshine, so I
> think black is not a good color but what about silver, white, sky blue?
>
> Thoughts are welcome,
> dave
> wa3gin

believed to be clean.