Re: [TowerTalk] RFI Identification

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RFI Identification
From: "Mike" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:26:37 -0800
Tony,

I had a similar noise to what you describe and it was directional and local
and appeared to come from anything metal from around the neighborhood, fire
hydrants etc.  It turns out the power went out one day and a PG&E guy was
working in a manhole with the cover removed (don't know the exact word in
American English for this). The power came on and there was a large
explosion, and the power was out for 6 hours.  When the power came on the
noise had disappeared after being there about a year.  My thoughts were that
it must have been a faulty transformer or capacitor or something
underground.

I would have asked the guy what the problem was but, although unhurt he was
pretty shook up and not really very talkative, especially as there were
another dozen PG&E guys there now.

Mike