Re: [TowerTalk] Lightnig Arrestors at tower base or house entrance?

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com, Glenn Thorne <gathorne@traer.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightnig Arrestors at tower base or house entrance?
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:06:32 -0600 (CST)
Glenn:

     I installed my Polyphasers at the bottom of my tower in a steel box
because I also have a coax switch in there.  If I had installed the Poly's at
the shack, I would have left the switch inputs and the coax runs from the
antennas into the switch unprotected.

     I also have a more robust ground system near the tower:  three runs of #2
solid connected to 12 ground rods.  Near the shack end of the coax I have only
one ground rod that connects to one of the three tower ground leads.  So to my
way of thinking (I didn't measure it), the ground impedance near the tower
(three ground leads) ought to be lower than near the shack (one ground lead).

     I suppose the answer to your question <Which is better?> depends on
whether you have a continuous coax run from antenna to shack entrance, or
whether you have intervening equipment along the way.  Of course you can go the
belt-and-suspenders route by having Poly's at both points.  I chose not to.
YMMV.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F
P.S.  I believe W1AW uses the same technique as I do - Arrestors at the tower.
I forgot the date of the QST article where I read this.