Re: [TowerTalk] Lightnig Arrestors at tower base or house entrance?

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightnig Arrestors at tower base or house entrance?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:32:55 -0500
K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/25/2008 7:40:10 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net writes:
>

>>  Take a length of  the copper pipe (say 6" long) or tube  with an ID about
>>
> the same or *slightly* larger than the diameter of the  coax with the
> jacket removed.  Split the copper tube or pipe  lengthwise (IOW saw it
> into two mating pieces).  Solder/Braze  the  ground wire *lengthwise*
> onto the outside of one  half.   Clamp it to the braid by wrapping the
> sections with the  rubber vapor wrap and tape which also water/moisture
> proofs the  connection.
>

>         Soldered/brazed joints are  not appropriate for lightning systems.
> The only NEC approved grounding  connections are compression or exothermic
> (e.g.
> CadWeld).

I agree with the solder part, but today's brazing is so close to the
melting point of copper it should be as good as welding which to me says
the NEC is a bit out of date.  BTW TIG welding works very well with
copper and aluminum.  Also with this type of connection even a  solder
joint over a wide area will give a better  and more durable connection
than a clamp type.

Exothermic is used and accepted because it works so well (easy  to use
and repeatable results with little skill required) in welding copper
cable to steel ground rods.  Copper to copper is a whole different world.

73

Roger (K8RI)