Re: [TowerTalk] Combined Dipoles

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Combined Dipoles
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 06:43:26 -0700
Bill Turner wrote:
> [...]

And, if you have a tuner that can tune, say, 2.5:1 or 3:1, you don't
have to do any pruning at all.  They're dipoles, so they're pretty
broadband, and if the resonant frequency drifts to 6.9 MHz from your
7.15 that it would be without the other elements, the mismatch isn't all
that big.  At that sort of mismatch, the line loss isn't as big a deal.

That way, if you're installing it somewhere that the surroundings are
likely to change (e.g. it blows in the wind, and there's trees or a
tower around), you don't have to worry about small shifts in fres.

BTW, after some hours of grinding the optimizer in 4nec2 I've not been
able to find a set of lengths for 3-5 parallel dipoles that provides a
good match on ALL HF hambands without a tuner.  It's possible that such
a set doesn't exist.  (easy for the big 5, 10,15,20,40,80, though)

Jim, W6RMK