Re: [TowerTalk] Square vs Round Holes

To: Its from Onion <aredandgold@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Square vs Round Holes
From: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:26:37 -0700
Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to have your PEs take the
following data and convert it to a 36" round hole...
http://www.ustower.com/hdx572.pdf

Unlike a light pole that has a 8" - 12" base, this bad boy is 30"+ which
would put the anchors close to the edge of the concrete.  I have a 40'
steel traffic pole in my back yard (LADWP surplus) for use as an antenna
support.  The base is 2.5' square.

I have never had a truck run into any of my towers.  I'm convinced the
tower and/or bolts would fail before the base did.

My "bigger" statement is based on the mass of the base.  A 5' square at
6' has more mass than a 5' circle at 6' (hence the reason for needing to
go deeper).

Personally, I like round holes better!  Can I back ANY of this up with a
degree in engineering?  NOPE!

(p.s. Thank you for posting at the top!  It makes it MUCH easier to
follow the threads as I've already read what you are responding to!)

Dino - K6RIX
dino@k6rix.com