Re: [TowerTalk] excavator

To: towertalk@contesting.com, aredandgold@msn.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] excavator
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:36:09 EDT

In a message dated 5/12/2008 2:12:49 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Nobody said the hole has to be square.  Find a utility  pole contractor
that
has a digger derrick truck with a 36"  bit.

    But his request for a 5x5 hole, not 3'.

>  ALL OF the traffic light / street light poles in your city  have round
holes and you cant knock
them down with a truck.  Trust  me, I seen it tried.
Might even save on concrete.

    Right, but these are all on the street. Easy to  drive up and get to
work. Most hams have their towers in the backyard, and  access is the big
problem.
And those augering rigs are BIG.

>   For the life of me cannot see why ham folks love square holes, much easer
to  dig round
ones.

>  F. Lee George (KE4VYN)
Construction Supervisor  (retired)
Traffic Engineering
City of Birmingham

        Sure, when you work for  the city and you don't have to pay for it.
The last auger I got a price for  was going to be $4-8000. Don't mean to pick
on you Lee but it's easy when all  you have to do is fill out a requisition.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams