Re: [TowerTalk] excavator

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] excavator
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 23:30:38 -0400
David Gilbert wrote:
> Its from Onion wrote:
>
>> For the life of me cannot see why ham folks love square holes, much easer to
>> dig round
>> ones.
>>

> What makes you think it is discretionary for the average ham?
>
> 1.  Backhoes generally dig square holes.  An auger large enough to dig a
> large hole is going to be much larger and more expensive than a backhoe.

I had a backhoe dig the hole for my new tower.  It wasn't round and it
sure wasn't square.  More like womperjawed, I would say.
> 2.  Rebar cages are easier to build square.  Admittedly a minor point,
> but one I'm sure that influences typical engineering practice.

It didn't keep Heights Towers from building round ones.  All you need is
a rebar bender and a form/jig to hold the pieces while you weld or tie
them.
> 3.  Engineering drawings from the tower manufacturer almost always call
> out square holes.  A building inspector would very likely disapprove a
> deviation from square to round.  Yes, you can hire an engineer to
> generate new drawings for a round hole, but ...
>

> 73,
> Dave   AB7E

I'm glad you said "almost always."  See
http://www.heightstowers.com/bases.htm for the exception that may (or
may not) prove the rule.

Since Virginia's legislature passed our ham tower law, local building
inspectors don't even require a permit for a tower, let alone care
whether you are digging round or square holes for the base.  When I see
all the grief that other folks have in getting permits, variances, etc.,
it makes this old transplanted Texan happy to live in
Virginia....something I never thought I would say.  Just so you folks
don't get the idea that this is a laissez faire, libertarian state, I
would remind you that it is illegal to use a radar detector in your
vehicle in Virginia. :-)

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr