Re: [TowerTalk] w2gd tower accident

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] w2gd tower accident
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:23:30 -0400
jim Jarvis wrote:
> John is an old and good friend.  I've climbed with him.
> He's as careful-- frankly, as anal -- as it gets.
>
> There is a take-away in here:   Temporary guys are damned risky.
> That which is temporary holds your life in its hands.
> Permanence is a virtue.

It depends on the temporary guys. I use wire rope for flexibility, but
of a strength strong enough to hold the tower permanently. Although they
aren't heavy enough to hold the tower with the big array in maximum
winds.  I've never had to worry about them. OTOH I'm the only one who
connects each end of every temporary guy. Each section goes up with the
temporary guys already attached.  Then I have helpers check them, but if
something is not right I'm the one who changes/fixes it.  Like flying or
writing you should always have some one else check or proof read. I also
attach the permanent guys when I reach the proper level to allow their
attachment.  As individuals checking our own work it's very easy to see
what we expect to see rather than what's there.  I did that on being
checked out flying a high performance/complex/retract.  I'd put in about
10 hours, we entered the pattern and when I put the gear down I checked
for the green light and pointer down (Nose gear has a pointer in my
plane) I make these checks on down wind, base, and final as well as a
100 foot gear check.  I noted it wasn't slowing down the way I'd planned
but it was only in the round out about 20' off the runway the gear
warning horn sounded.  (I'd finally gotten the power below 12" of
manifold pressure).  I looked at the instructor and said, "You pulled
the breaker didn't you?" He replied, "Yah, and you identified the gear
down light and pointer THREE TIMES!  It's those little things in life
that bring a sudden dose of humility<:-))

One other point, when tied to a tower it's really difficult to "tuck and
roll" when you hit the ground.

 Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)