Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter antennas ?

To: Jim Miller WB5OXQ in Waco <wb5oxq@grandecom.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 meter antennas ?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 01:54:48 -0400
Jim Miller WB5OXQ in Waco wrote:
> With the upper band beginning to open up what are the favorite 6 meter
> antennas?  I really don't have room for a beam.

Welll... so much for the good stuff. <:-))
> Jim WB5OXQ.
I've had very good luck with the Hy-Gain AV640 (Patriot) antenna. It
covers all ham bands 40 through 6. It's rated legal limit on HF while
only 200 watts on 6, but it is basically a full size quarter wave
vertical on 6.  They told me not to worry about the occasional 800 watts
SSB on 6. Maybe I'm just the test bed. <:-))  I have the base of the
antenna mounted at 40 feet and excluding bugs (wasps
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AV-640/AV640.htm ) getting into
the matching network I've liked its performance, particularly for a
multi band antenna.  The tree surgeon is coming this morning to do some
creative pruning on a big Ash tree WNW of the shop.  That will let me
raise and lower the 40' tower with the AV-640 on top or eventually put a
tribander at 50 or 60 feet and still clear the tree in high winds.

73

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)