Re: [TowerTalk] Serving Tool for guy wire

To: "Roger D Johnson" <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Serving Tool for guy wire
From: "W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:52:46 -0500
Roger et all,
The serving did not secure the loop in the EHS.  It only provided a smooth
transition of the dead end to the main line.  Rather than just lay the dead end
of the loop on the run, we separated the strands of the end and wrapped them
around the main one at a time, tapering from the first to the last. This
eliminated the step that was produced by the dead end against the main.  Later
they gave us compressible sleeves that we put on the main first then terminated
the EHS around the thimble and secured it clamps (sometimes as many as 6 per
termination), then we slid the sleeve over the dead end and crimped it to
provide the smooth transition. The serving was classy looking but tore up my
hands and probably gave me some kind of permanent damage from all the cuts from
the zinc that flaked off in chunks.

My 1984 Rohn manual has some pictures I can copy and scan if my semi-literate
explanation is not clear enough :^).

Clint - W5CPT