Re: [TowerTalk] Serving Tool for guy wire

To: W5CPT <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Serving Tool for guy wire
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:36:45 -0400
W5CPT wrote:
> The serving tools we used in the military were a piece of metal about 12"
> long, 1' wide with a 1/8" hole about 1/2" from the end and a pair of
> linemen's pliers.   And gloves, good thick gloves.  Serve 3 sets of guys (not
> mentioning the insulators) and you will always go with grips (and
> Phillystran).

All I can say to that is AMEN!
Serving is very effective and inexpensive IF you don't count the time
required to do it. The time required to learn to do it properly (not a
lot) and PAIN!  OTOH I find a good pair of pliers works well as a
serving tool although it takes a bit more time to learn.

BTW it also works well with stranded antenna wire, but you still need to
solder it.  OTOH it does look nice.