Re: [TowerTalk] Serving Tool for guy wire

To: "'Roger D Johnson'" <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Serving Tool for guy wire
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:40:33 -0500
The issue is the 2004 issue PG 438, not that long ago really.
Only 4 years old.

They are showing how to install the three cable clamps, thimbles and then
wrapping the guy wire back on itself:

The directions say:

1) leave 14" of dead cable
2) unwind one strand from dead cable applying serving tool, and wrap 6 times
around
3) unwrap second strand from dead cable, apply serving tool, and wrap 6 times
around, repeat with each remaining strand.
4) Completed connection clipped and served each strand wound around guy cable
six times
5) Retighten cable clamps after initial tension has been applied.

I did now find a serving tool in the catalogue page 354 CST1 says it weighs
three pounds. So it may very well be the 12" inch long
tool you used in the service. Looks like it would take a little getting used to
in order to do it correctly.

Bob AD5VJ