Re: [TowerTalk] Ultrabeam OF ITALY

To: ve4xt@mts.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ultrabeam OF ITALY
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:39:29 -0700
ve4xt@mts.net wrote:
> Hmm, let's see:
>
> Ultrabeam 4-el. 40-6m yagi: 4,850 euro
> Steppir Monstir, 4-el, 40-6m yagi: $4,500 ish.
>
> Considering that 4,850 euro translates to about US$7,550., I can't quite
> comprehend the math that
> says buying the Italian knockoff saves any coin...
>
> Italians, however, could probably save loads of lira by buying the Steppir.
> That $3,050 price difference
> pays for a whack of shipping!
>
> 73, kelly

But.. say a year ago, when the Euro/Dollar rate was roughly 1:1, the
shipping and import duty (5-8%, I think) would make the SteppIR more
expensive than the Ultrabeam.

Right now, the hideously low dollar makes it much more attractive for a
EU ham to buy the SteppIR..

Now, if FluidMotion (or Ultrabeam) had worked out appropriate currency
hedges in advance....