Re: [TowerTalk] Using a drill to install (Lay over - Raise) US Tower HDX

To: Rich Hallman - N7TR <rich@n7tr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using a drill to install (Lay over - Raise) US Tower HDX?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 08:14:07 -0700
See these photos on my web site of an adapter to use a drill
on my HDX5106:

http://www.n6rk.com/drill_adapter_for_winch/drill_adapter_for_winch.html

I replaced the K2550 on my TRX-100HD with a W3000.  It decreased the
cranking effort from extremely difficult to difficult.  (With the K2550,
raising the tower was truly an athletic event.)  The drill has
enough torque (rated 410 inch lbs) to lower the tower, but it cannot
raise the tower from a horizontal position.  Of course, once the
tower is tilted up a ways, then the drill can take over.

The adapter I show allows you to keep the handle in place, so you
can use the armstrong method when necessary.

I am looking for a gear reduction adapter that I can use to slow
down the drill and get more torque.  The maximum speed of the drill
in low gear (400 RPM) is still too fast IMHO.

Rick N6RK