Re: [TowerTalk] mast material

To: Skip K3CC <k3cc@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mast material
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 18:21:49 -0400
Skip K3CC wrote:
> During the past 20 years or so I've used heavy duty chain link fence post.
> size is 2 inch dia nom. 1 7/8"
> This is tough stuff,seamless, cheap amd easy to aquire.

Are you sure it's seamless?  I've been using it for my gin pole as well
as other masting, but every piece I've seen so far has a neatly welded
seam invisible from the outside but a pain if you want to telescope
another piece inside.  I made up a rotary sander to go on my high speed
grinder to remove the slight ridge for the gin pole mounts. For size and
weight (including wall thickness) it's stronger than structural steel,
but a little more flexible.  However for the larger antennas I stick
with the structural steel, or preferably chrome molly.

I've often been able to find short lengths I needed that they were happy
to get rid of.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)