Re: [TowerTalk] House entrance ground for RF ground?

To: willemma@telkomsa.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] House entrance ground for RF ground?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 06:35:34 -0700
Marinus Willemstijn wrote:
> I have heard that some people connect the shack ground (Separate ground
> rods) to the house grounding system via the earth of the mains plug in the
> shack?
>
> This is done where the house entrance ground is too far from the shack
> ground and its not really possible to connect the shack ground to that of
> the house?
>
> That does not seem like a good idea to me?
>
> Thanks for a very interesting list!
>
> 73's

While this approach would meet the general desire that "all grounds be
connected", it wouldn't meet the electrical code, which requires
"bonding" (i.e. permanent connection) the ground systems together with a
certain minimum size wire.

I will note that there has been some discussion on the Tesla Coiling
list of whether one could put an RF choke of some sort in the bonding
wire, to prevent feeding stray RF back into the building's grounding
system. Say you were to put a whole bunch of ferrite cores over that 10
foot wire, it would have substantial impedance at RF, but still meet the
NEC need for a low impedance line frequency connection for shock safety.
Obviously, you'd need a whole RF grounding system at the shack end.