Re: [TowerTalk] Tower damaged by Hurricane Ike - where can I get help?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, ag5t@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower damaged by Hurricane Ike - where can I get help?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 07:20:36 EDT

In a message dated 10/6/2008 4:29:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I wasn't able to crank the top section down before the  storm. I tried to
crank it after the storm, but the arc and the bend won't  allow anything to
move. My question is - is there any type of construction  crew I might be able
to pay to repair the tower, or if not, to haul it away as  junk?

    You won't be able to repair the tower without  major investment of time
and money. I'd say it's totaled.

    Many contractors can probably take care of it for  you. You'll need a
crane or boomtruck and an acetylene torch. If you can  operate the cutting
torch,
then all you have to do is rent a crane and start  chopping it up. A sawzall
or hand grinder with a thin cutting  wheel can also be used to cut the metal.
Be real careful if you take this  on.

Cheers & GL,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH