Re: [TowerTalk] TIC RING

To: Michael Dinkelman <mwdink@eskimo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TIC RING
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:17:03 -0400
The blue pots seem to last longer then the black one's But the POT is the weak
link in the system. As suggested Have a Spare motor around to change out a
problem. MY .02
 As for the climb over, I also use a Gorilla hook to attach to the rung just
Below the ring ,with fall arrest attached above, I then drop my main belt then
the gorrilla hook , always with one hand holding and then use both hands for
the climb over.

my .02

 Wayne W3EA

> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:27:28 -0700> From: mwdink@eskimo.com> To:
> TOWERTALK@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TIC RING> > > > > > I have
> a friend with a much older model of the same ring, and he's had> > ongoing
> problems with the pot, which we think are due to moisture seeping> > in.
> Every time the temperature falls below freezing, the pot stops moving,> >
> even though the motor continues to move. This is a very bad situation,> >
> because the ring has no physical limits or limit switches, so it freewheels>
> > and destroys the coax and/or antenna. Once the temperature warms up, the
> pot> > moves and readings return to normal. I've taken that darned motor down
> a> > half-dozen times and we've replaced the pot, added waterproofing, etc.,
> and> > it still happens. We're beginning to suspect something wrong in the
> cabling> > or connectors, but don't have any evidence yet. However, I've
> heard numerous> > stories of people having problems with pots on the older
> motors.> > > I h
 ad pot problems three years in a row. Taking them apart, they were > wet
inside. The last time, 3 years ago, I soldered on the wires, then > dipped it
twice in liquid tape. Obviously, that doesn't totally seal the > shaft (make
sure it still turns) but I haven't had a problem since then > (knock on wood).
I've probably just jinxed myself. I do keep extra pots> around now.> > chees>