Re: [TowerTalk] "Sluggo" Ground Rod driver

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Sluggo" Ground Rod driver
From: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:45:16 +0000
A local electrician I use had a tool for driving ground rods that his father
made.
He got some Well Pipe, welded a piece on top and welded two handles on it.
It drove an 8' ground rod into what's laughingly referred to as soil around here
as easy as you please. A few taps with a hammer completed the task.

BTW, I am in Southern Arizona.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:32:21 -0700> From: andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net> To:
> towertalk@contesting.com> Subject: [TowerTalk] "Sluggo" Ground Rod driver> >
> Fellow Tower Talkians:> > In the October issue of "Electric Contracting
> Products" page 26 is a product announcement of a new ground rod driving tool
> "The Sluggo-Ox" from Sluggo Ox Corp. As a note I have NO financial
> conntections to the company that manufactures it, or any other connection to
> the company, other than I subscribe to "Electric Contacting Products"
> magazine.> > It slips over both 5/8 and 3/4 inch ground rods, weighs 7
> pounds, and has a 3 inch circular striking surface. It claims to prevent the
> "mushrooming effect" of using a sledge hammer on the top of the ground rod.>
> > Their web site is www.sluggo-ox.com> > Again I have no financial interest
> in the company that makes this device and I've mushroomed many a top of a
> ground rod installing them until I bought a fence post driver at a farm
> supply store, but there
 is always about 2-3 feet I still can't drive into the ground with the fence
post driver. > > Another interesting ham-related product in the October issue
page 24 if you subscribe, again I have no financial interest in this company
either, are cable ties with a snap off leader where you don't have to have a
pair of snips or cutters, or a knife to remove the excess. Its called a
"Catamount Twist Tail" billed as "the only tool less cable tie in the industry"
(their words not mine). Supposedly just takes a bend, bend, twist motion to
remove the tail. > > Website is http://www.tnb.com and it comes in both white
and UV resistant black and 7 and 11 inch lengths. No prices were given in the
product announcement. Try the web site. > > These products are purely passed on
as a possible install problem solution for many hams. I just got my copy of the
magazine today and thought I'd pass these ideas on.> > 73 de Tom, WW5L> > >