[TowerTalk] New Cables for a Crank Up and NicoPress Clamps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New Cables for a Crank Up and NicoPress Clamps
From: "Bill Gaines AD8P" <ad8p@wcoil.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:06:04 -0400
I am having to install a new pull up cable on my LM-470. While considering the
replacement from a California company at a cost of $210 plus $90 shipping I got
to thinking about rolling my own from local parts. Tell me what you think
please.

I can obtain 3/16 aircraft cable and thimbles with no problems. What I am
having problems finding are the "Nicopress" clamps used to secure the ends
around the thimbles. It is the part that gets compressed around both cables and
holds it together. On the existing cable the clamp is made either of copper or
brass (probably copper). It is approximately 1/2 inch in diameter and maybe an
inch long. What I am able to find looks like aluminum and looking at the end
looks like a figure 8 with 2 holes for the wires. Are these "good" replacements
for the original clamps I am looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Bill       AD8P at wcoil dot com