Re: [TowerTalk] New Cables for a Crank Up and NicoPress Clamps

To: Bill Gaines AD8P <ad8p@wcoil.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Cables for a Crank Up and NicoPress Clamps
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:34:18 -0700
Bill Gaines AD8P wrote:
> I am having to install a new pull up cable on my LM-470. While
> considering the replacement from a California company at a cost of
> $210 plus $90 shipping I got to thinking about rolling my own from
> local parts. Tell me what you think please.
>
> I can obtain 3/16 aircraft cable and thimbles with no problems. What
> I am having problems finding are the "Nicopress" clamps used to
> secure the ends around the thimbles. It is the part that gets
> compressed around both cables and holds it together. On the existing
> cable the clamp is made either of copper or brass (probably copper).
> It is approximately 1/2 inch in diameter and maybe an inch long. What
> I am able to find looks like aluminum and looking at the end looks
> like a figure 8 with 2 holes for the wires. Are these "good"
> replacements for the original clamps I am looking for?

McMaster-Carr? http://www.mcmaster.com
wire rope compression sleeves page 1384
$9/pkg of 10.

The crimp fittings are available in a variety of metals.  You DO need to
have the correct crimping tool. they are available a variety of places
including McMaster-Carr, but you need to make sure the one you have/get
has the right size die in it, each sleeve needs a different size crimp
die.. my crimper (from Felco) has 3 or 4 slots in it.

The catalog says aluminum sleeves are not for use in lifting
applications (which yours is).  But, are you sure they're aluminum and
not plated copper (zinc, tin) or stainless steel?