Re: [TowerTalk] Lossy traps?

To: <foxbw@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lossy traps?
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:29:16 -0700
And three related questions:

1. Is the loss in gain, due to the RF lost/dissapated as heat, or due to
pattern degradation
caused by "lumpy" current patterns along the elements?

2.  Is it reasonable to think you might lose 3 db to heat in the traps?
At, say, 500 watts input, 3 db is 250 watts of heat.  if evenly distributed
inside
six cylindrical aluminum traps with coils, (~45 watts per trap) would you
expect smoke, or
melted coil forms with 45 watts of heat per trap?

3.  Does high SWR operating at the fringes of the resonance frequencies of a
beam, say, phone for a CW tuned antenna, cause additional voltage or current
stress to the traps?

All the best,   Pat Barthelow   AA6EG