Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease

To: ve5ra@sasktel.net, w3ea@hotmail.com, towertalk@contesting.com, draxfelton@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 16:58:06 EDT

In a message dated 11/1/2008 1:49:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ve5ra@sasktel.net writes:

>> A quick smooth out
with a round noise digrinder  grinder smoother it out.. I then got new
balls and used an acid brush to  give the race alight coat of blue
snowmobile grease.

>  Very interesting mainly because the current 'wisdom' re the  TB-3 and
TB-4 thrust bearings is to not grease or oil them ... run them  dry.  So
now we have a conundrum. I have run mine dry from the  beginning as
advised.  But I am beginning to lean towards  lubrication.  But
sparingly.  A light application of a light oil  or light grease
(snowmobile) might be the answer.

No conundrum. The Rohn TB's should not be  greased. The grease just attracts
and hangs onto particulates and other junk  and will accelerate wear.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH

5 Travel Deals!