Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease

To: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, <K7LXC@aol.com>, <w3ea@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <draxfelton@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease
From: "Dan Hearn" <n5ar@air-pipe.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 21:21:56 -0700
It is possible to make a dust/rain cover for your thrust bearing and install
it as I have done. Farm supply stores sell a feed dish for animals, which is
made of material similar to an auto tire sidewall. I cut a hole in the
center equal to the mast diameter. I cut a slit from one side from the mast
hole to the edge. The dish is very flexible and I was able to twist it
enough to get it into place. You can use tape, silicone rubber or what ever
to seal the slit. I have also made them where the dish was cut in half and
used a strip of aluminum under each slit with screws thru the rubber into
the aluminum. There is no reason not to cover the thrust bearing.

73, Dan, N5AR